[torquedev] Increasing length of username ?

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 09:21:14 MDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Chris Samuel <csamuel at vpac.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We've just got bitten with Torque 2.3.7 where a user
> has been created with a username which is 18 characters
> long.
>
> That in turn triggers the crash in the pbs_server that
> Michael Meier reported back in June when it tries to
> follow a NULL in a linked list (which is patched in
> 2.3-fixes so should in 2.3.8 when that's done).
>
> So, we've applied that patch by hand to 2.3.7 but
> I'd like to increase the length of a username that
> Torque can cope with by increasing PBS_MAXUSER in
> pbs_ifl.h but I'm concerned that might break other
> things (or change the job file structure) - am I
> right to worry about that ?
>
> Thoughts ?

changing PBS_MAXUSER will not result in a change in the binary job
file structure.  The constants that will affect the job file structure
are:

PBS_MAXSVRJOBID
PBS_JOBBASE
PBS_MAXQUEUENAME
PBS_MAXROUTEDEST

these are all defined in pbs_ifl.h, or server_limits.h (PBS_JOBBASE),
several of these are defined using other constants, so if you expand
this list to include constants that these constants depend on you get
the following list:

PBS_MAXSVRJOBID
   PBS_MAXSEQNUM
   PBS_MAXSERVERNAME
   PBS_MAXPORTNUM
   PBS_MAXJOBARRAYLEN
PBS_JOBBASE
PBS_MAXQUEUENAME
PBS_MAXROUTEDEST
   PBS_MAXQUEUENAME
   PBS_MAXSERVERNAME
   PBS_MAXPORTNUM

Some of these have been increased for 2.4 I think