[torquedev] [torqueusers] TORQUE 2.4 is live.

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Tue Nov 3 11:57:40 MST 2009

Glen Beane wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Ken Nielson
> <knielson at adaptivecomputing.com> wrote:
>
>> Garrick,
>>
>> This is why we have a community. To keep those of us who are new on our
>> toes. The numbering scheme will be the same.
>>
>> Major.Minor.revision. I neglected to add a revision to this release.
>>
>> Is there a problem with assuming this is 2.4.0 and future revisions
>> starting at 2.4.1.
>>

> I think there is a problem - releasing 2.4.0 now will cause confusion
> because 2.4.1b1 and 2.4.2b2 have been released as snapshots. Package
> managers would assume these to be newer than a 2.4.0 release, but
> really they predate your proposed 2.4.0 version.
>
> In the future, to avoid this confusion,  major.minor.revision should
> only be incremented for official releases, and never for beta
> releases.  In reality 2.4.1b1 and 2.4.2b2 were beta releases for 2.4.0
> and should have been labeled as such.

Glen,

This was pilot error. I put my trust into the build system which created
the original 2.4.1b1 when I did a "make full".  I realize now there was
a problem in the configure.ac file. You will see that I removed the 2.4
torque tarball and there is now a torque 2.4.2 tarball in its place.
When 2.5.0 and 3.0.0 come out hopefully I will not make the same mistake.

Ken