[torquedev] Versioning Issues & Development Roadmap

Toni L. Harbaugh-Blackford [Contr] harbaugh at ncifcrf.gov
Thu May 28 10:03:52 MDT 2009

Josh:

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Josh Butikofer wrote:

   <...snip...>

  > An alternate proposal is that we get 2.4.x ready to release. It still needs more
  > testing and polish before it is ready for general use, but we believe that it
  > can be ready in several months. The refactoring that was done in 2.4
  > is not bad, per-se, or too large--but it did introduce bugs, many of which have
  > been eliminatd. For sure there are more, but users have been running 2.4 for a
  > while now without major problems. There are some backwards compatibility issues
  > and changes in default behavior that cause concern. We could remove these and
  > slate them for 3.x--this would make releasing 2.4 more palatable.

Is there a list of backwards compatibility issues and changes in default behavior
between 2.3.x and the *current* 2.4.x?  How difficult is it to remove these?

I am leaning towards this proposal (that is, get 2.4.x ready to release, rather
than 'converting' it to 3.x) if the backwards compatibility issues can be resolved.

Thanks,
Toni

Toni Harbaugh-Blackford, [Contractor]
System Administrator, Advanced Biomedical Computing Center
Advanced Technology Program, Bldg. 430/122
SAIC-Frederick, Inc. / NCI at Frederick
P.O. Box B, Frederick, MD 21702
Phone: 301/846-5798    Fax:  301/846-5762
Email: toni.harbaugh at nih.gov

NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you
have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy,
retransmit, disseminate or otherwise use the information.  Please indicate
to the sender that you have received this email in error and delete the copy
you received.