[torquedev] Re: what happened to 2.4.0?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Mar 30 14:01:31 MDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 03:08:15PM -0400, Glen Beane alleged:
> I think 2.4.0 is the "target release".  When the 2.4 is officially
> released, I think it should be 2.4.0.  Although Garrick may disagree,
> I think it is fine to have version numbers like 2.4.0b1 for a beta
> release. An official release should be versioned as
> major.minor.bug_fix, all integers.

My problem is that the version strings can't be automatically parsed any more.
There is no way for package managers to know relative ages of things like:
2.4.0b1 < 2.4.0 < 2.4.0p1 < 2.4.0r1, etc.  Is "p1" prerelease1 or patch1?
Anyone not privy to the details can't know.

Things like 'rpm' get horribly confused when version strings can't be parsed
anymore.

University of Southern California

See the Prop 8 Dishonor Roll at http://www.californiansagainsthate.com/