[torquedev] Re: what happened to 2.4.0?

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Mon Mar 30 13:59:57 MDT 2009

For what its worth,

	I agree with Glen completely.

Glen Beane wrote:
> I think 2.4.0 is the "target release".  When the 2.4 is officially
> released, I think it should be 2.4.0.  Although Garrick may disagree,
> I think it is fine to have version numbers like 2.4.0b1 for a beta
> release. An official release should be versioned as
> major.minor.bug_fix, all integers.

If CRI has customers running 2.4.0 in whatever capacity, then the community
should be entitled to those versions as well. Further since 2.4.0 wasn't ever
released, then I think the minor version number shouldn't change. Thus, the next
version would be 2.4.0b2, ...b3, etc until 2.4.0 is released.

> Here at my day job if our target release was 2.4.0, then we would
> release product-2.4.0_build1 to SQA for testing. If they find bugs, we
> would fix them and release (and tag in svn) product-2.4.0_build2.
> Once we have created a "build" that has produced no bugs during
> testing we tag the target release.  So if product-2.4.0_build5 tests
> OK, it would have its version number changed and get tagged as 2.4.0
> (the tags product-2.4.0_build5 and product-2.4.0 are the same, except
> for the version number which may appear both internally in the source
> and in the tag name).

This makes sense to me, and is roughly the way we do release at my job.

This was one of the reasons I was pushing for some sort of community page for
TORQUE. That way rules about release can be posted, bugs can tracked more
closely, and submitted patches can be tracked as well. I'm sure CRI's IT team is
stretched to the bone, but I do think a community page would alleviate these
sorts of issues.

-Joshua Bernstein
Software Engineer
Penguin Computing