[torquedev] Re: what happened to 2.4.0?

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:08:15 MDT 2009

I think 2.4.0 is the "target release".  When the 2.4 is officially
released, I think it should be 2.4.0.  Although Garrick may disagree,
I think it is fine to have version numbers like 2.4.0b1 for a beta
release. An official release should be versioned as
major.minor.bug_fix, all integers.

Here at my day job if our target release was 2.4.0, then we would
release product-2.4.0_build1 to SQA for testing. If they find bugs, we
would fix them and release (and tag in svn) product-2.4.0_build2.
Once we have created a "build" that has produced no bugs during
testing we tag the target release.  So if product-2.4.0_build5 tests
OK, it would have its version number changed and get tagged as 2.4.0
(the tags product-2.4.0_build5 and product-2.4.0 are the same, except
for the version number which may appear both internally in the source
and in the tag name).