[torquedev] Resource limits not set for processes started via tm_spawn

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Jun 11 18:18:55 MDT 2009

Hi all,

Things are still pretty hectic here and I've not had time
to follow the lists for a few weeks, sorry about that! :-(

One of the things that has been keeping me busy is users
who run code that pushes nodes out of memory, we're looking
at setting default pvmem limits for everyone (initially we'd
done that with pmem not realising that it didn't set a limit
that would be honoured for non-trivial allocations) and I've
been testing this out on myself.

However, what seems to be the case is that mom_set_limits()
is only called for the first process in the job, and not
for any tasks started via tm_spawn.  This results in pbs_mom
killing off processes that exceed these limits, rather than
them failing nicely when they call malloc() et. al.

I was thinking it would be good to insert a call to
mom_set_limits() in start_process() so that these limits
are set as expected (well, expected by me at least :) ).

Thoughts ?

cheers!
Chris (still trying to get on top of email)