[torquedev] Bug in /etc/rc.d/init.d/pbs_mom: replace SIGHUP by HUP

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Jun 3 04:56:59 MDT 2009

We have installed the latest snapshot torque-mom-2.3.7-snap.200906020815.1cri
and continue to see a bug in /etc/rc.d/init.d/pbs_mom:

# service pbs_mom reload
Re-reading TORQUE Mom config file: /etc/init.d/pbs_mom: line 85: kill: SIGHUP:
invalid signal specification

The kill command in the script probably uses the shell built-in kill.
Our OS is CentOS 5.3 with this version of the Bash shell: bash-3.2-24.el5

I believe that line 85:
    kill -SIGHUP `pidof_pbs_mom`
should read
    kill -HUP `pidof_pbs_mom`
in order to work correctly with the above version of bash.  I don't
know if this will be compatible with other OSes...

I note that Bash's behavior is inconsistent with the bash man-page
which says that the SIG prefix may be used or may be omitted:

        kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] [pid | jobspec] ...
        kill -l [sigspec | exit_status]
               Send the signal named by sigspec  or  signum  to  the  processes
               named  by  pid or jobspec.  sigspec is either a case-insensitive
               signal name such as SIGKILL (with or without the SIG prefix)  or
               a  signal  number;

Can the developers kindly take a look at fixing this in the upcoming release
of 2.3.7 ?

--
Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark