[torquedev] OS X outstanding issues

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jan 14 19:01:06 MST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:50:48PM -0500, Glen Beane alleged:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
>
> > Glen and I went back and forth on this one. I was having a hard time
> > duplicating the problem and found that it seemed to depend on various values of
> > $LANG.  Then I found that using a pointer instead of an array for the first
> > argument of wordexp() doesn't trigger the problem.
> >
> > Whatever is going on inside of wordexp() (or the compiler) depends on how
> > the first arg is aligned.  Turns out, the compiler is aligning arrays
> > differently than pointers.
> >
> > It will be a fairly small patch to convert our usage of arrays to pointers and
> > this won't be a problem any more.  I sent a first pass to Glen.
>

> Unfortunately the problem is still occurring, but it doesn't happen as
> regularly.

Maybe we fixed that instance of the problem and it is now manifesting itself elsewhere.

I went ahead and checked in the fix to trunk.  Any objections to checking it into 2.3?

University of Southern California

See the Prop 8 Dishonor Roll at http://www.californiansagainsthate.com/