[torquedev] OS X outstanding issues

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Jan 13 18:14:10 MST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:19:28PM -0500, Glen Beane alleged:
> 1) wordexp support must be disabled:
>
> This is the one issue that I have actually made some progress on.   I
> traced this back to wordfree calling free() on memory not allocated by
> malloc().
> I have filed a bug report with Apple on this one.   I'm not sure what
> else to do, other than "turn off" wordexp support be editing
> pbs_config.h after running ./configure  This is Apple's fault.

Glen and I went back and forth on this one. I was having a hard time
duplicating the problem and found that it seemed to depend on various values of
$LANG.  Then I found that using a pointer instead of an array for the first
argument of wordexp() doesn't trigger the problem.

Whatever is going on inside of wordexp() (or the compiler) depends on how
the first arg is aligned.  Turns out, the compiler is aligning arrays
differently than pointers.

It will be a fairly small patch to convert our usage of arrays to pointers and
this won't be a problem any more.  I sent a first pass to Glen.

University of Southern California

See the Prop 8 Dishonor Roll at http://www.californiansagainsthate.com/