[torquedev] torque bugzilla

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Mon Jan 5 18:06:16 MST 2009

Glen Beane wrote:
> So we had a short discussion about this before the holidays.    I
> think it would be very good for community involvement to revive TORQUE
> bugzilla.  I know it may cause a little extra work to keep it in sync
> with the internal CRI support system, but since TORQUE is an open
> source community project (in theory, there don't seem to be too many
> community patches coming anymore) I think most bugs belong out in a
> publicly accessible place.  I understand users with paid support will
> want to log their issues in the same place they log their Moab issues,
>  but if it turns out to be a new bug, someone should log it in
> bugzilla as well.

I agree completely. Ideally I think it might be wise to have a TORQUE
page on SourceForge. This bugs can be marked public/private for the CRI
internal folks. They'd provide an excellent place to track bugs that
have been fixed in releases without having to search through the mailing
lists. SF also takes care of things like release notes, documentation,
etc. Just a thought, but perhaps just the first step is a public bugzilla.

If bugs are open for TORQUE though, everybody should be able to see
them. Transparency is key, especially for open source project, even
given the constraints of "for fee" development. There are countless
other projects that have a for fee side to their development, and to my
knowledge at least, at their bug tracking system is available for
anybody to see.

-Joshua Bernstein
Software Engineer
Penguin Computing