[torquedev] Reorganizing TORQUE Source Code

Josh Butikofer josh at clusterresources.com
Tue Feb 24 15:19:27 MST 2009

TORQUE Developers:

Over the past few months I've been looking through the TORQUE source code and
trying to find ways to improve its organization. I've found that there are
several pieces of code that are data structures and utility functions used in
both pbs_server and pbs_mom that are NOT part of the shared library package.
This is fine, except for the fact that in some cases the functions/data
structures are defined twice--once in pbs_mom code and once in pbs_server code.
Oftentimes it is a direct copy and paste. In my mind this is not only silly, but
potentially dangerous, as keeping these two copies in sync is a maintenance burden.

I've also found that I want to add a generic function to TORQUE, but am forced
to add it to some unrelated module like "job_func.c"...even though it has
NOTHING to do with jobs, per se.

So I have a proposal.

We would like to create a new "utility" module in TORQUE. This C module would be
statically linked into both the pbs_server and pbs_mom at compile time. It would
NOT be part of the shared library, but it would still be found in its own
"Libutil" directory. We would move any functions defined/used by both pbs_server
and pbs_mom into this module, as well as any other functions that are generic
enough that it would warrant their placement there.

We already have a patch to do this work and are eager to check it in. I just
wanted to double check if there are any objections or if anyone has any
reservations. We plan on introducing this reorganized code into the next version
of TORQUE 2.3.x. (No code logic is actually changing, so the functionality
should remain exactly the same.)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

--