[torquedev] new epilogue argument

Michael Barnes barnes at jlab.org
Mon Apr 20 07:05:54 MDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:52:05PM -0700, Josh Bernstein wrote:
> I think it makes sense to put in the 2.3 branch.
>
> I'm surprised this didn't already exsist.

Right. Currently, we have to wrap a script around the users' scripts to
get the exit status of the job.

Another thing that I've had to do for quite sometime is to parse
the $TORQUE_HOME/mom_priv/jobs/$PBS_JOBID.JB file in order to get
environment variables from the qsub -v or -V options into the
prologue/epilogue.

Essentially, it would be nice to get all information about a job from
within the prologue and epilogue. I'm not sure of a reliable and secure
way of doing this offhand. Some hacks I can think of are the pbs_mom
create a pseudo file like those in /proc.  A FIFO would work, but I have
not found them to be very reliable.  Or a UNIX domain socket parsed by
netcat which is an ugly hack.  Or a new pbs utility that can query the
mom about a job (saner approach?).

I think that this should be handled by the mother superior and not the
server (the server could be down), but I'm not sure what the best
interface would look like.

-mb

--