[torquedev] enablemomrestart with pbs_mom symlinks

Craig West cwest at astro.umass.edu
Tue Jul 8 13:05:21 MDT 2008

Chris!

I've already been through the code myself and I found the section you
are referring to. I wasn't actually thinking of changing that section.
If we followed the original idea of allowing an admin to change the path
to the mom executable via momctl, then all we really need to change is
the runtime variable "MOMExePath" in src/resmom/mom_main.c . The next
time it checks the mtime of the exec it should be different, and pbs_mom
will restart as required.

After thinking about it I realised that the MOMExePath should point to
the actual executable and not a symlink. Otherwise what is there to say
that the symlink won't change, but the executable will. This would be
missed if you were only looking at the symlink. Remotely changing the
MOMExePath makes sense to me.
However, the problem with changing the MOMExePath might be a security
issue, pbs_mom is usually/often run as root (as I understand it), and
changing this variable would allow any file to be executed (as root). It
seems only root can run momctl, but is there something stopping this
restriction from being removed? Perhaps an option could be added to
mom_priv/config which would enable MOMExePath to be changed remotely,
and by default it is disabled?

I have a patch that allows the changing the MOMExePath remotely (without
the pbs_mom config option mentioned above). It works correctly under my
testing with Linux x86_64. I can make it available.

Cheers,
Craig.