[torquedev] qsub -W depend=afterok:<array>

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 05:20:28 MDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Brian O'Connor <briano at sgi.com> wrote:

>  Hi
>
> back on *Mon Mar 10 13:15:03 MDT 2008 *March Glen Beane said;

> >* Greetings,*>**>* We are converting our scripts over to Torque from SGE. Most options*>* have a 1-to-1 conversion or with very little modification. However,*>* I've run into one that is rather important for our work whose behavior*>* is different from what I'd expect, in particular with job dependency*>* and job arrays.*
>

> Regarding job arrays: these are still under development in Torque and are
> not feature complete at this time. I've tried to be clear about this in all
> my postings to the user and dev mailing list.
>
> note that as of torque 2.3 the syntax for the -t argument will be similar to
> SGE:
>
> qsub -t 1-10 will result in a 10 job array.  qsub -t 10 will result in a
> single job array with an array index of 10.  qsub -t 0-9 will give you the
> behavior of the old qsub -t 10
>
> I'm almost done the qhold and qrls for entire arrays, and will soon move on
> to dependencies for entire arrays.  Also job arrays in 2.3 are much more
> solid under the hood than they were in 2.2, hopefully the new features will
> come quick.

> I am also planning a move away from SGE. fsl uses "qsub -hold_jid", and it
> is a critical application, so I can't move
> away from SGE until torque can do qsub -W depend=afterok:<job_id> to an
> array. Is there an eta?
>
> Thanks for all the effort in making arrays work. It is much appreciated.

I don't have an eta for finishing up job arrays, they are a high priority,
but we are a little short handed right now.  I need to finish up some BLCR
checkpoint/restart stuff that another TORQUE developer had started. Then I
think I will focus on squashing a few bugs that I've heard about. Then once
things are stable I can turn my attention back to job arrays.  Hopefully by
the end of the summer they will have all the functionality you need.