[torquedev] OS X warnings

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 06:20:47 MST 2008

I tried to look into the use of HUGE_VAL causing a "floating point constant
exceeds range of 'double'" warning on OS X when a program is compiled with
-pedantic

my first attempt at suppressing the warning was to cast HUGE_VAL to a double
(it should already be a double anyway...) but that didn't work:

nofx:/tmp gbeane$ cat test.c
#include <math.h>

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{

   double d;

   d = (double)HUGE_VAL;

   return 0;

}
nofx:/tmp gbeane$ gcc -pedantic  test.c
test.c: In function 'main':
test.c:8: warning: floating constant exceeds range of 'double'

I filled out a bug report with Apple, but I can't imagine this will be a
high priority for them.  I do have some contacts there so maybe I can get it
noticed... :)

Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can suppress this warning?