[torquedev] [patch] bind to ip on multihomed pbs_servers

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Fri Feb 8 01:39:46 MST 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:11:54AM +0100, Henning Glawe wrote:

> > I also have a patch, but mine is more invasive, modifying the
> > svr_connect() and client_to_svr() functions by adding the ip address
> > to bind to as a passed argument.  Your patch is much simpler, so I
> > hope it makes it in.

> well, my patch is more a proof-of-concept, as it is an unclean solution
> communicating the IP to the relevant functions by a global variable...

I'd like to point out that the whole IP stuff in Torque is totally
behind state of the art.

To sum things up, an IP address is nowadays not represented by
uint32_t, but struct sockaddr_storage.

Many functions in Torque have these obsolete assumptions, and AFAIK,
it's PITA to port it to IPv6.

One former attempt has failed, and I guess my student (mabi) has either
given up or is stuck somewhere. Matti, could you elaborate on this?

No, don't use an IP address as a 32bit key value in a binary tree, this
is incompatible with 128bit IPv6 addresses.

Lots more. If you ever plan to support IPv6, don't write any new IPv4
code, but clean up the old one. It's a design goal. API changes are the
least important part of it. It's pretty much a whole new version, major
release, whatever you want to call it.

Do it now or do it never, you cannot prolong the 80th's way of coding ad
infinitum.

Adr"af_family agnostic"ian

--
mail: adi at thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver