[torquedev] [patch] bind to ip on multihomed pbs_servers

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Feb 8 00:22:28 MST 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:34:56PM +0100, Henning Glawe alleged:
> Moin,
> pbs_server does not bind correctly to its assigned hostname/IP (with a
> hostname on the command line like in
> '/usr/sbin/pbs_server -a T -h torque.cluster').

(pst, this is now -H in trunk).

> This is true both for incoming connections:
>
> root at n030:~> lsof -p `pidof pbs_server`
> COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE  DEVICE    SIZE    NODE NAME
> pbs_serve 1818 root    6u  IPv4 1550253             TCP *:15001 (LISTEN)
> pbs_serve 1818 root    7u  IPv4 1550254             UDP *:15001
> pbs_serve 1818 root    8u  IPv4 1550255             UDP *:1023

We wouldn't want to bind for client connections.  They can come from any interface.

> and, even worse, for the outgoing ones, i.e. the source ip address of
> outgoing ip packets seems not to be correctly set to the one extracted from
> the -h option. The pbs_moms don't like to talk to the server if it uses the
> wrong source ip.

Have you added ore $pbsserver directives to pbs_mom's config?  pbs_mom can
accept server connections from many IPs.

> Background:
> I intend to setup torque in our linux cluster in such a way, that the
> pbs_server is always reachable as hostname "torque" under ip 172.16.128.8,
> regardless on which physical host it is running on.
> As it is common and useful in such cases, I use an IP alias, i.e. I assign a
> second ip to the server's cluster-communication-interface (both ips on the
> same subnet, so there is only a single route pointing to the interface):

Have you seen the new HA support in trunk?  Multiple pbs_server processes on
different hosts will use different IPs and pbs_mom won't care.