[torquedev] recent torque changes

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 08:57:35 MST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 4:36 AM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 02:45:51AM -0500, Glen Beane alleged:
>  > I've just checked in some changes into trunk that increase the
> PBS_JOBBASE
> > constant from 11 to 61.  This allows for 64 char .JB and .SC files on
> > pbs_server/pbs_mom
> >
> > the previous 14 char limit was too small when you combine large job
> sequence
> > nubmers and large job arrays - we just couldn't hash those 11 characters
> > enough to make the neessary number of unique file names.
> >
> > This should help the job arrays scale much better.
> >
> > .JB files with the old size for their jobbase array are automatically
> > upgraded when pbs_server starts
> > we used a similar auto upgrader from 2.1.x to 2.2.0.  the only down side
> is
> > if you upgrade to 2.3.x you wouldn't be able to recover your jobs if you
> > downgrade back to 2.2.x (they will be renamed as .BD files I think)
>

> If we changed:
>  if (version == 0x00020200)
>    {
>    return  upgrade_2_2_X(pj, fds);
>    }
>  else
>    {
>    return upgrade_2_1_X(pj, fds);
>    }
>  }
>
> To something like:
>  switch (version) {
>    0x00020100: upgrade_2_1_X(pj, fds);
>    0x00020200: upgrade_2_2_X(pj, fds);
>    default:
>  }
>  return;
>
> Then we could get upgrades from any point in the past to the current
> struct?

this would work:
 switch (version) {
   0x00020200: upgrade_2_2_X(pj, fds);
      break;
   default:  upgrade_2_1_X(pj, fds);
 }
 return;

there is no version 00020100 - there was no version number in the ji_qs
struct at that point.

upgrade_2_1_X upgrades anything from 2.1.X and earlier (I chose version
numbers that couldn't match the first int in the old ji_qs struct without a
version) to the new 00020300 version.

upgrade_2_2_X goes from 00020200 to 00020300

you don't need to call both upgrade funcs