[torquedev] pbs_server segfault in req_delete.c

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 13:28:23 MST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Josh Butikofer
<josh at clusterresources.com> wrote:
>> What do you think Josh (CRI Josh, not Penguin Josh!)?  I think we
>> would want to upgrade the bugzilla at
>> www.clusterresources.com/bugzilla and probably flush out all the old
>> bugs and start fresh since TORQUE has changed so much since they were
>> loggeed.
>
> I think it could be a good idea. The only problem that I see is the fact
> that there would then be potentially three sources for bug tracking/reports:
>
> * The mailing list (when someone doesn't add it to Bugzilla)
> * The public Bugzilla
> * CRI's own internal ticket system (where we track most bugs that we are
> working on)
>
> It could make tracking bugs even more complicated, rather than easier.
>
> As long as CRI and the community have clear rules about how to keep Bugzilla
> up-to-date and accurate it should work fine. The problem with the old
> Bugzilla (from my perspective) is that only a few dedicated members of the
> community used it for a time, and as the number of bugs built up, and TORQUE
> fixes were slow to come, people started realizing they could get better turn
> around time and responses if they just squawked on the mailing list,
> bypassing the whole Bugzilla tracking. Eventually, it became moth-balled and
> we are where we are today, with no one really using it.
>
> My biggest fear, I guess, is that Bugzilla, like the TORQUE wiki, will not
> be used enough to warrant the time and resources put into maintaining it. Is
> TORQUE really isn't going to benefit from having Bugzilla? How can we avoid
> the problems that occurred last time?
>
> What do you think?

I think if TORQUE really wants community participation, then the
torque bugs should be logged in a public place and not CRIs internal
tracking system.  Log support requests and maybe even feature requests
internally, but bugs should be available to the community.  We should
also actively promote this whenever someone sends a bug report to the
user list.

If the developers at CRI and the community developers us it then we
will avoid the problems that occurred last time. It is too easy for a
bug report sent to the user list to get lost or overlooked.