[torquedev] Bug: No command line option for specifying PBS_ENVIRON

Vinod KV vinodkv at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Oct 1 08:25:40 MDT 2007

Hi all,

I installed torque with no options to configure script. I wish to have
the same instances of my binaries run with different config
(PBS_SERVER_HOME) directories. By this I mean
1) The default installation running with its PBS_SERVER_HOME set to the
default path /var/spool/torque and
2) another instance of pbs_server/pbs_mom running with another
PBS_SERVER_HOME, by supplying a path to the -d option. This path has
essentially the same directory structure as in the default path
/var/spool/torque, except that it doesn't have binaries.

The first works perfectly fine. But in the second case, when I try to
run the mom as,

    sudo MY_INSTALLATION_DIR/pbs_mom -d /MY_CONF_DIR/var/torque/

it fails throwing

    pbs_mom: No such file or directory (2) in chk_file_sec, Security
    violation with "/var/spool/torque/pbs_environment"

Meaning that it still tries to find the environ file from the default
location. An strace on the mom  tells me that it is able to find other
things like mom_priv, mom_priv/jobs, aux, spool etc., but the environ
file is still looked for in the default path.

I know I can manage multiple instances of torque, by building them
altogether with different --with-server-home options to the configure
script. But I wish to specify pbs_server_home at run time using the -d
option.

I looked into the source and found that -d option changes the
'path_home' string from  (the default) PBS_SERVER_HOME macro to the user
supplied option. But for setting the environment file, it looks at the
PBS_ENVIRON macro which still refers to /var/spool/torque/pbs_server,
because it didn't get any info from the configure script.

In essence, either
1) we need a command line option to change PBS_ENVIRON at run time or
2) the -d option should set things up so that further references to the
environment file are dealt with correctly

Comments please....

Thanks
--vinod

PS: sorry for that lengthy a mail.