[torquedev] reverting 'hostname -f' change in torque.setup from September

Brian Pendleton bpendleton at clusterresources.com
Fri Nov 30 16:35:42 MST 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:18:10 -0700, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu>
wrote:

>> The command 'set server operators += bpendleton at server' will fail in the
>> torque.setup script.  It appears that when torque checks the ACL, it
>> will
>> only check against the first column of the host in /etc/hosts, causing
>> the
>> check to fail even though it should succeed.  CRI support ran into this
>
> Yes, it's a well known problem regarding matching forward and reverse
> DNS.
>
> Note that nothing in torque reads /etc/hosts and compares columns.

Right, I should have said fully qualified host name. I was just looking
at the hosts file while writing the email.  I'll look at the torque code
and see if I can come up with any ideas.

>> issue with customers fairly regularly, so a change was made to the setup
>> script which fixed the issue.  If hostname -f isn't portable, it should
>> removed, but a fix still needs to be implemented so that customers don't
>> run into this issue.  A better fix might be to fix the ACL check so that
>> it accepts all columns of /etc/hosts as valid.
>
> It is definitely not portable.  It really breaks people's non-GNU
> machines.
>
> I removed it from torque.setup a long time ago and was surprised that it
> was
> added back again.

What about a separate torque.setup.linux script?  Ideally we would have
a portable script that would do forward and reverse DNS (as you mentioned),
but that would work for now.  Or, the torque.setup script is (partially)
generated by configure which can determine what kind of host it's on.
Just some ideas.

>> Please let me know if I can provide you with more information or be of
>> any
>> assistance on this issue.
>
> If you can come up with a portable way to determine matching forward and
> reverse DNS in a shell script, that would be great :)

I'll look into it and see if I can find anything.

-Brian Pendleton

--
Brian Pendleton
Cluster Resources Inc.