[torquedev] Linux kernel/glibc ulimit strangeness

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Nov 30 08:48:23 MST 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Chris Samuel wrote:

> 1) In the Linux pbs_mom should we be setting RLIMIT_AS in addition
> to the the others so that these limits are enforced regardless of
> which allocation strategy is followed by the application ?

I think that this is a good idea. To go even further, I personally
don't find any value in setting something else than virtual memory,
because it's only this parameter which reflects truely how much memory
is used by a process. Setting f.e. data segment size says nothing
about the other memory usage aspects of the program (real code, shared
libs code, stack, etc.) which means that any scheduling based on it is
unreliable.

> 2)  Would it be possible to have a configuration option to disable
> setting ulimits for those who want to use them as guidelines but not
> enforced (for non-expert users) ?

I don't quite get your meaning: how do you intend for a limit to be
used as a guideline if it's not set ?

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868