[torquedev] Job array feature request

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Fri Nov 16 12:28:52 MST 2007

Hi folks,

I'm on the plane from Reno to LA talking to some of the Matlab DCE
developers (Jos & Edric who are copied in on this email) who
integrate to various queuing systems such as PBS, LSF, etc.

They asked about job array support and said that they have a couple of
features that they'd really like from job array support in Torque.

Not having played with job arrays yet I don't know if these are
already working or in the works so I thought I'd ask first.. :-)

1)  Non-contiguous job arrays.

In a Matlab DCE job the job array index has meaning and so for systems
that only support contiguous arrays they have to do a hack to map the
job array index back to the Matlab DCE index.

The syntax that LSF uses for this and could be a good guide for Torque
is to use dashes to separate contiguous sections and then commas for
non contiguous parts.

E.g. 3,5-9,20-45,1024

2) Single task job arrays.

They would also really like to have the ability to submit a job array
with a single user specified index so that they don't need to special
case these.  One issue they have with PBSPro at the moment is that it
requires a job array to have at least 2 elements.

Jos, Edric, please feel free to jump in and correct any mistakes
above - the list is pretty low traffic so don't be afraid to
participate either.. :-)

cheers!