[torquedev] cpuset support

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Nov 15 01:23:44 MST 2007

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Garrick Staples wrote:

> It also occurs to me that we should actually create the jobsets and
> vnodesets before prologue.  Then admins only need to modify sets as
> desired instead of creating them from scratch.

One of the folks I've been speaking to about this at SC07 is Craig
West from U.Mass who runs their astro clusters there.

He has some codes that are extremely memory intensive and was asking
if he could arrange it so that jobs could be interleaved on the cores
on his 4 socket dual core nodes to reduce the chance of both cores on
a socket trying to hit memory at the same time.

I started to reply saying that he could fiddle with them in the
prologue, but then realised that the scheduler and won't know about
these changes unless the pbs_mom monitors the contents of the jobsets
and exports this information in some way.

On the plus side this would allow the scheduler to know precisely
which cores are in use on nodes, rather than just estimating based on
load.

cheers,