[torquedev] cpuset support

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Nov 15 01:17:52 MST 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Alexander Piavlo wrote:

>  So it might be a worthwhile to also work on integrating their
> support in torque.

Yeah - Garrick were looking at the docs in 2.6.24-rc2 about this on my
laptop at SC07 when we were brainstorming the ideas about how to do
this.

> As job does not have to be bound to specific cpu on multicpu node
> and can utilize more cpu power then there are no other other jobs
> on the node or other jobs do not utilize fully their guaranteed cpu
> share which they were allocated.

There can be benefits from locking processes to CPUs, some of our guys
have hacked in their own setaffinity() support on Opteron boxes and
found a sizeable performance improvement from it (from memory I think
about 10%, but YMMV).

So basically it can be a win on NUMA systems, but may not matter so
much on current Intel AMD64 clones.

cheers,