[torquedev] Re: [torqueusers] how to disable interactive job submission

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Wed Mar 14 07:34:54 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 20:49 -0700, Garrick Staples wrote:
> As admins, we care about *what* resources are used.  We care about
> amounts of cputime, walltime, NFS traffic, memory usage, disk usage,
> etc.  We care that the resources are available, reliable, and above all,
> useful.
>
> What we don't care about is *how* the resources are used.  We don't
> care if the job is written in bourne, perl, fortran, C or C#, the color
> of the user's shirt, if the user likes dogs or cats, or whether the job
> is interactive or batch.

It's a question of policy.  For example, my management wants to have
different scheduling policies for interactive jobs than for batch jobs,
particularly WRT queue wait time.  Right now I can't really do that
without requiring the job having to request something "magic" *IN
ADDITION TO* -I (eg. -q runmerightnow or having a walltime below a
certain threshold).  If I can automagically route interactive jobs into
a particular queue/class that batch jobs can't get into, the problem
more or less goes away.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701