[torquedev] Other batch systems and Kerberos (was Fwd: Re: [Beowulf] network filesystem)

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato at astro.su.se
Tue Mar 6 13:14:57 MST 2007

* Björn Torkelsson [2007-03-06 18:42:27 +0100]:
> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:21 +0100, Sergio Gelato wrote:
>
> > The solution to limited Kerberos ticket lifetimes is well-known, and
> > involves renewable tickets. (Essentially, the ticket lifetime determines
> > how often one must generate a new session key while the renewable lifetime
> > determines for how long one can go on doing so. The former should not exceed
> > a few hours, the latter can be months.) The job server needs either to
> > periodically renew tickets for jobs in the queue, or to be able to acquire
> > fresh ones when a job is started.
>
> In this case I think the lifetime of the ticket has to be at least as
> long as the runtime of the job, or every mom have to be able to renew
> the tickets, which probably complicates things. At least initially.

I don't think so. It's quite easy for a job to do a
	(while kinit -Rf; do sleep 30000; done) &
or equivalent (e.g., Russ Allbery's krenew) on each node. Indeed it would
be nice for pbs_mom to set that up on the user's behalf and to clean up at
the end of the job. Isn't this what the prologue and epilogue scripts
are for?

> By, the way, if you have any chance it might be an idea trying to have a
> chat with Love Hörnqvist at your central IT Division, Being the main
> developers of Heimdal he might have some good ideas and suggestions
> about using GSSAPI in Torque.

I'm well aware of that resource. However, since I believe he's quite
busy I'd rather do my own homework before consulting him.
One question I might ask him is whether to use channel bindings.