[torquedev] Other batch systems and Kerberos (was Fwd: Re: [Beowulf] network filesystem)

Björn Torkelsson torkel at hpc2n.umu.se
Tue Mar 6 10:42:27 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:21 +0100, Sergio Gelato wrote:

> The solution to limited Kerberos ticket lifetimes is well-known, and
> involves renewable tickets. (Essentially, the ticket lifetime determines
> how often one must generate a new session key while the renewable lifetime
> determines for how long one can go on doing so. The former should not exceed
> a few hours, the latter can be months.) The job server needs either to
> periodically renew tickets for jobs in the queue, or to be able to acquire
> fresh ones when a job is started.

In this case I think the lifetime of the ticket has to be at least as
long as the runtime of the job, or every mom have to be able to renew
the tickets, which probably complicates things. At least initially.

By, the way, if you have any chance it might be an idea trying to have a
chat with Love Hörnqvist at your central IT Division, Being the main
developers of Heimdal he might have some good ideas and suggestions
about using GSSAPI in Torque.

/torkel