[torquedev] Other batch systems and Kerberos (was Fwd: Re: [Beowulf] network filesystem)

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun Mar 4 18:25:59 MST 2007

Hi folks,

Given the recent discussion about GSSAPI I thought the following from the
Beowulf list with a reference to Kerberos support in Load Leveller might be
of interest.

cheers,

Subject: Re: [Beowulf] network filesystem
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007
From: John Hearns <john.hearns at streamline-computing.com>
To: Chris Samuel <csamuel at vpac.org>

Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Mark Hahn wrote:
>
>> why V4?
>> - security.  within a cluster, I don't see the point to, say, kerberos.
>
> Agreed, not to mention all the pain of trying to get Kerberos tickets passed
> through the queueing system and the fact that if you're running a 3 month
job
> it's going to be quite hard to persuade your Kerberos admin to let you be
> able to create a ticket that lasts that long..

Purely as a point of interest, since high energy physics labs use AFS
(and hence kerberos) they have already faced this one.
The ticket is extended when a batch job is submitted:
http://services.web.cern.ch/services/afs/arc.html#SECTION00040000000000000000