[torquedev] new feature in trunk: qsub -t

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 07:24:51 MST 2007

I've just finished commiting some changes to trunk that add a new
feature: qsub -t, which tells pbs_server how many times you want to
submit the job.

For example:

qsub -t 5 job_script
1098.hostname

qstat
1098-0.hostname ...
1098-1.hostname ...
1098-2.hostname ...
1098-3.hostname ...
1098-4.hostname ...

each 1098-x job has an environment variable called PBS_ARRAYID, which
is set to the value of the array index of the job,  so 1098-0.hostname
would have PBS_ARRAYID set to 0

This should be much faster than using a shell script to submit the
same job hundreds or thousands of times.

This is the first step, and I'm sure it isn't quite ready for prime
time,  so please test and let me know if you find any problems. I will
be improving this. One thing I'd like to see is the ability to qdel
all the jobs submitted with a single qsub -t command with one qdel
command, and perhaps only showing one line in qstat for the entire job
array