[torquedev] Job array feature request

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 08:05:14 MST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 2:28 PM, Chris Samuel <csamuel at vpac.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm on the plane from Reno to LA talking to some of the Matlab DCE
> developers (Jos & Edric who are copied in on this email) who
> integrate to various queuing systems such as PBS, LSF, etc.
>
> They asked about job array support and said that they have a couple of
> features that they'd really like from job array support in Torque.
>
> Not having played with job arrays yet I don't know if these are
> already working or in the works so I thought I'd ask first.. :-)
>
> 1)  Non-contiguous job arrays.
>
> In a Matlab DCE job the job array index has meaning and so for systems
> that only support contiguous arrays they have to do a hack to map the
> job array index back to the Matlab DCE index.
>
> The syntax that LSF uses for this and could be a good guide for Torque
> is to use dashes to separate contiguous sections and then commas for
> non contiguous parts.
>
> E.g. 3,5-9,20-45,1024
>
> 2) Single task job arrays.
>
> They would also really like to have the ability to submit a job array
> with a single user specified index so that they don't need to special
> case these.  One issue they have with PBSPro at the moment is that it
> requires a job array to have at least 2 elements.
>
> Jos, Edric, please feel free to jump in and correct any mistakes
> above - the list is pretty low traffic so don't be afraid to
> participate either.. :-)

So I'm a little behind schedule, but I would like to update everyone and
let  you all know I'm about 90% done these changes (I've had little time the
last week or two to work on it), and I expect to be done the code and have
things tested and checked into trunk by the end of the day on Saturday.
I'll send out another email when things are checked in and then please feel
free to test things and try to break it