[torquedev] torque-2.1.x cannot read its own configuration?

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Fri Aug 31 17:12:09 MDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 02:51:37PM -0700, Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 02:39:43PM -0700, Martin Siegert alleged:
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 02:14:36PM -0700, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > > On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 02:02:19PM -0700, Martin Siegert alleged:

> > > It's not that qmgr doesn't understand the request, it is that the request is
> > > not authorized.  It is a permission problem.
> > >
> > > When you run 'qmgr', it connects to the server hostname listed in
> > > $PBS_SERVER_HOME/server_name.  The pbs_server daemon running on that host isn't
> > > allowing your connection.  Your "server_name" file probably has something other
> > > than the actual hostname.
> > >
> > > Try 'qmgr localhost' or 'qmgr `hostname`' when reading in the config.
> >
> > Thanks! 'qmgr localhost' has the same problem, but 'qmgr `hostname`'
> > actually works!
> >
> > Your assumption that the server_name file has something other than
> > the actual hostname is correct - this is a multihomed server and the
> > server_name file contains the hostname assiciated with the private
> > cluster network.
> >
> > Can somebody actually explain to me what the correct configuration is
> > under these circumstances? As far as I know the server name has to
> > be entered at (at least?) three places:
>
> Just adjust the server's managers to include what you want.

Jikes - this was kind of stupid: the torque_server.conf file had:

set server managers = moab at assiniboine.sfu.ca
set server managers += moab at b001
set server managers += root at assiniboine.sfu.ca
set server managers += root at b001

Thus, when I ran "qmgr < torque_server.conf" qmgr read the first of
those 4 lines and then decided that root at b001 had no priviledges
and refused to read the rest. After rearranging the order

set server managers = root at b001
set server managers += root at assiniboine.sfu.ca
set server managers += moab at b001
set server managers += moab at assiniboine.sfu.ca

in the torque_server.conf I was able to read in the whole file
(after initially running "qmgr `hostname` -c 's s managers = root at b001'").

Unfortunately, torque rearranges the order of these settings, i.e.,
if I now run "qmgr -c 'p s' > torque_server.conf" I again get the first
(bad) order of the set server managers statements. Hence I have to
always manually edit that file. In a weird way the initial subject line
appears to be correct ... torque cannot read its own configuration
back without changes.

Would it be possible to not do these internal rearrangements?
It appears that the order is relevant.

Cheers,
Martin

--