[torquedev] torque-2.1.x cannot read its own configuration?

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Fri Aug 31 15:39:43 MDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 02:14:36PM -0700, Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 02:02:19PM -0700, Martin Siegert alleged:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running into the following problem ever since we switched to
> > torque-2.1.x (actually I tried only 2.1.2 and 2.1.6):
> >
> > All commands are run by root:
> >
> > # qmgr -c 'p s' > /etc/sysconfig/torque_server.conf
> > # qmgr < /etc/sysconfig/torque_server.conf
> > Max open servers: 4
> > qmgr obj= svr=default: Unauthorized Request
>
> It's not that qmgr doesn't understand the request, it is that the request is
> not authorized.  It is a permission problem.
>
> When you run 'qmgr', it connects to the server hostname listed in
> $PBS_SERVER_HOME/server_name.  The pbs_server daemon running on that host isn't
> allowing your connection.  Your "server_name" file probably has something other
> than the actual hostname.
>
> Try 'qmgr localhost' or 'qmgr `hostname`' when reading in the config.

Thanks! 'qmgr localhost' has the same problem, but 'qmgr `hostname`'
actually works!

Your assumption that the server_name file has something other than
the actual hostname is correct - this is a multihomed server and the
server_name file contains the hostname assiciated with the private
cluster network.

Can somebody actually explain to me what the correct configuration is
under these circumstances? As far as I know the server name has to
be entered at (at least?) three places:

1) /var/spool/torque/server_name (qmgr is reading this)
2) /var/spool/torque/torque.cfg (SERVERHOST specification; qsub is reading
   this)
3) in the server's data base: qmgr -c 's s server_name = b001'

Until now I assumed that the same name would have to be entered in all
three places - obviously incorrect. Thus, is the following correct:
1) contains `hostname` (assuming that qmgr is run on the server),
2) and 3) have the hostname associated with the private cluster
interface. Correct?

Cheers,
Martin

--