[torquedev] torque-2.1.x cannot read its own configuration?

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Fri Aug 31 15:39:43 MDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 02:14:36PM -0700, Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 02:02:19PM -0700, Martin Siegert alleged:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running into the following problem ever since we switched to
> > torque-2.1.x (actually I tried only 2.1.2 and 2.1.6):
> >
> > All commands are run by root:
> >
> > # qmgr -c 'p s' > /etc/sysconfig/torque_server.conf
> > # qmgr < /etc/sysconfig/torque_server.conf
> > Max open servers: 4
> > qmgr obj= svr=default: Unauthorized Request
> It's not that qmgr doesn't understand the request, it is that the request is
> not authorized.  It is a permission problem.
> When you run 'qmgr', it connects to the server hostname listed in
> $PBS_SERVER_HOME/server_name.  The pbs_server daemon running on that host isn't
> allowing your connection.  Your "server_name" file probably has something other
> than the actual hostname.
> Try 'qmgr localhost' or 'qmgr `hostname`' when reading in the config.

Thanks! 'qmgr localhost' has the same problem, but 'qmgr `hostname`'
actually works!

Your assumption that the server_name file has something other than
the actual hostname is correct - this is a multihomed server and the
server_name file contains the hostname assiciated with the private
cluster network.

Can somebody actually explain to me what the correct configuration is
under these circumstances? As far as I know the server name has to
be entered at (at least?) three places:

1) /var/spool/torque/server_name (qmgr is reading this)
2) /var/spool/torque/torque.cfg (SERVERHOST specification; qsub is reading
3) in the server's data base: qmgr -c 's s server_name = b001'

Until now I assumed that the same name would have to be entered in all
three places - obviously incorrect. Thus, is the following correct:
1) contains `hostname` (assuming that qmgr is run on the server),
2) and 3) have the hostname associated with the private cluster
interface. Correct?

Martin Siegert
Head, Research Computing
WestGrid Site Lead
Academic Computing Services                phone: 778 782-4691
Simon Fraser University                    fax:   778 782-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                  email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6