[torquedev] Re: [torqueusers] Torque and IPv6

Matti Bickel cat5 at minet.uni-jena.de
Thu Aug 16 09:55:51 MDT 2007

Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
> Not currently.  There was some work started and I even created an ipv6 branch
> in svn, but that worked seems to have stalled after not to long.  Now the ipv6
> branch is quite stale.

I've downloaded a full checkout and i'm currently looking into it,
estimating what it would take to port torque to use ipv6.
I've two further question:

Are there any coding conventions jotted down? From pbs_ifl.h i get the
impression you're still supporting K&R style C? Is there any system
*that* ancient still in operation or are there other constraints that i
have to be aware of?

What kind of unit/acceptance testing do you do, if at all? I've found
some perl code in trunk/t. I'm very much planning to include unit tests
of the ipv6 stuff. Do you have any preference wrt a unit testing
framework?

I've also noticed a few things in relation to the networking code:
 * torque uses pbs_net_t, which is defined as unsigned long
  - this is not guaranteed to evaluate to a 4 byte long structure, needs
  to replaced by addr_info struct
 * Garrick, in your ipv6 branch you did #ifdef ENABLE_IPV6 to include
   ipv6 code, i gather my code should follow that convention?

I'm currently doing cursory searches through the code alongside using
Suns socket scrubber for analysis. So it's more than likely i'll come
back with questions as they turn up.

I've created a private branch in my checkout from todays trunk, so i can
work on the implementation. I'd like to share that branch publically, so
it gets maximum exposure with the short integration cycles i'm used to
from extreme programming. How's write access to the repo handled here?

Thanks for reading through this, looking forward to gettin' my hands
dirty ;)
--
Regards, Matti Bickel
Encrypted/Signed Email preferred