[torquedev] Question reg. PBS_NODEFILE

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Nov 30 16:28:28 MST 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 07:03, Glen Beane wrote:

> sometimes we have users that want to guarantee that if they specify
> nodes=4:ppn=1 then they will always get 4 unique nodes with one
> processor each so we have to set moab to use exact nodes,  other users
> don't care how many nodes they get...  it would be handy if the user
> could tell the scheduler that they do or don't care

I've been whinging about this on and off for some years now too. :-)

What I'm wondering now is would it be possible to declare a new PBS attribute
called "cpus" which would be the number of CPUs a user wanted in any layout?

This would disambiguate it from, and avoid overloading, ncpus and nodes.

Thoughts ?

cheers,