[torquedev] Question reg. PBS_NODEFILE

Glen Beane glen.beane+torque at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 13:03:46 MST 2006

On 11/30/06, Brock Palen <brockp at umich.edu> wrote:
> You can,  as long as you allocate per cpu in nodes.  We do this
> because we have a mix of 2 and 4 cpu boxes.  If i ask for
>
> -l nodes=4:ppn=1
>
> I get PBS_NODEFILES that look like
>
> host1
> host1
> host1
> host1
>
> or
>
> host2
> host2
> host1
> host1
>
> even
>
> host1
> host2
> host3
> host4
>
> Sorry to drag that out :-)
> I believe this is schedular/config dependent. We do it with moab and
> maui.

sometimes we have users that want to guarantee that if they specify
nodes=4:ppn=1 then they will always get 4 unique nodes with one
processor each so we have to set moab to use exact nodes,  other users
don't care how many nodes they get...  it would be handy if the user
could tell the scheduler that they do or don't care