[torquedev] On Advance Reservations in Maui/Torque

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Mar 31 19:45:25 MST 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:47:09PM -0500, Claris Castillo alleged:
> I am not sure if this is this is the right mailing list to post this
> questions at. If you think I should
> post it somewhere else please let me know.
>
> I have been looking at the "problem" of advance reservations in the last
> months. Surprisingly I have
> not found much literature on the topic and the couple of papers I have found
> present very discouraging results. Basically, as the percentage of
> reservation requests increases the utilization of the system is poor and the
> job rejection rate is higher.
>
> I am aware that Maui/Torque provides advance reservation. My question is
> what is doing Maui/Torque to overcome the aforementioned issues? Or it is
> the case that the percentage of reservation requests is very small in
> deployed systems?
>
> I would really appreciate if someone could point me to a source where I can
> find the answer to my
> question.

I'm hardly an authority, but noone else is responding...

I'd say advanced reservations are used as sparingly as possible; only
when specific requirements need to be met.

Several examples illustrate the usage at
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/mwm/docs/7.1advancereservations.shtml

University of Southern California