[torquedev] Re: [torqueusers] is there an epilogue.parallel script?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Mar 15 16:57:40 MST 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:50:19AM -0800, Michael Gutteridge alleged:
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 17:46 -0800, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:35:59PM -0800, Garrick Staples alleged:
> > here's a patch that does the above.  It
> > adds prologue.prerun, adds epilogue.parallel, adds
> > epilogue.user.parallel (we forgot about that one), has MS run all
> > parallel scripts on MS, and adds $PBS_NODENUM to all pelog scripts.
>
> I thought that the pelog script environment was really bare (i.e. root's
> environment) and that this sort of information (i.e. node number) would
> be passed in as an argument.
>
> May just be some lag in the documentation, though.  Appendix G, section
> 1 indicates that "For all scripts, the environment passed to the script
> is empty."  I don't know the pros/cons of doing arguments vs.
> environment variables.

The env is currently pretty much empty.  Currently only
PBS_RESOURCE_NODES, PBS_SCHED_HINT, and TMPDIR are passed in.  I
wouldn't mind adding a few more like PBS_NODEFILE and PBS_JOBNAME.

I'm prefering env over args because you can add and remove them over the
lifetime of the code and not worry about scripts getting args in the
correct order.  It is easier to be compatible with env vars.

Imagine 3 different sites have added their own 8th arg to prolog... that
really breaks when I decide to add a new arg to TORQUE.  If we used args
instead, assuming we don't collide our variable names, we can mix and
match without breaking anything.

Env vars are self documenting too.  You can write a prolog that dumps
it's arg list, but the meaning of each arg might not be obvious.  Env
vars are already "named."

> > For job launch and exiting, note that MS' parallel scripts run _after_
> > the sisters'.
>
> Makes good sense.

I'll commit the code if there are no other objections.

University of Southern California