[torquedev] changing PBS_SERVER_HOME default

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Mar 1 17:51:26 MST 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 05:43:07PM -0700, Wightman alleged:
> Ok...I ran the last one and everything installed and ran fine (no more
> security errors).  Do we want /var/spool/torque or /usr/spool/torque?
> It doesn't make a difference to me, I just always think twice before
> changing defaults.

Sending this to torquedev to solicite other comments...

IMHO, /usr is just _wrong_ for this.  Common UNIX philosophy (and the
FHS and LSB) define that /usr should be able to work as a read-only
filesystem.  Others on the list have agreed.

/var is really correct, leaving possibilities of /var/torque,
/var/lib/torque and /var/spool/torque.  I think /var/lib/torque matches
best with most Linux distro packaging guidelines.  Though I personally
like /var/torque just because it is shorter.

University of Southern California