[torquedev] memory limit enforcement by pbs_mom - REQUEST FOR FEEDBACK

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Tue Jan 31 13:48:45 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 13:18 -0700, Dave Jackson wrote:
>   Currently, the pbs_mom enforces memory limits specified with '-l
> pmem=X' but does not enforce memory limits specified with '-l mem=X'

That's odd.  Using OpenPBS on our Linux clusters in the past, we've had
huge problems with -l mem=X limits because they *were* getting enforced
in a way our users found counterintuitive, particularly on parallel jobs
started by mpiexec (it ended up a memory limit on the whole job, not
just per node).  As a result, I think our current (heavily patched)
OpenPBS installations don't track mem at all, just vmem.

Did TORQUE change how mem is counted on Linux from how OpenPBS did it?

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701