[torquedev] memory limit enforcement by pbs_mom - REQUEST FOR FEEDBACK

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Tue Jan 31 13:48:45 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 13:18 -0700, Dave Jackson wrote:
>   Currently, the pbs_mom enforces memory limits specified with '-l
> pmem=X' but does not enforce memory limits specified with '-l mem=X'

That's odd.  Using OpenPBS on our Linux clusters in the past, we've had
huge problems with -l mem=X limits because they *were* getting enforced
in a way our users found counterintuitive, particularly on parallel jobs
started by mpiexec (it ended up a memory limit on the whole job, not
just per node).  As a result, I think our current (heavily patched)
OpenPBS installations don't track mem at all, just vmem.

Did TORQUE change how mem is counted on Linux from how OpenPBS did it?

Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701