[torquedev] qsub allowing binary commands

Dave Jackson jacksond at clusterresources.com
Mon Jan 30 11:44:22 MST 2006

Greetings,

  To date with TORQUE, when a user issues a qsub command with a binary
argument such as 'qsub /bin/hostname', TORQUE accepts it and returns a
jobid.  When TORQUE attempts to run the job, it fails with the following
in the job stderr file:

------
-bash: line 1: /usr/spool/PBS/mom_priv/jobs/10211.moab..SC: cannot
execute binary file
------

  Should qsub be enhanced to check for this condition and reject a
binary up front or be enhanced to support binary execution.  My leaning
is towards the former at this point with enabling the latter later being
a possibility based on demand.

  We already do this check in Moab's 'msub' command and could migrate
the same check into TORQUE immediately.

Dave