[torquedev] Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit builds of Torque ?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Jan 9 19:17:28 MST 2006

Hi folks,

SuSE SLES 9 gcc on PPC64 creates 32-bit code by default, not 64-bit. :-(

So as we're doing our shutdown today I thought I'd take the opportunity to
backup /usr/spool/PBS and upgrade Torque to the current build and swap to a
64-bit version so I can build 64-bit versions of LAM, Moab, etc against it.

Unfortunately, attempting to restart the server results in the following
errors:

PBS_Server: Cannot allocate memory (12) in recov_attr, calloc failed
PBS_Server: Cannot allocate memory (12) in svr_recov, error on recovering server attr
PBS_Server: pbsd_init, Unable to read server database
PBS_Server: PBS_Server, pbsd_init failed

This looks horribly to me like Torque is writing/reading attributes, etc,
as binary structures and that it's killing the pbs_server.

So, what's the supported way to move from 32-bit to 64-bit builds ?

Is it sufficient to dump the server config of a 32-bit build with:

  qmgr -c 'p s'

or similar magic and then reimport it into a 64-bit build or is it
something that just isn't possible with an existing queue of jobs ?

Help!