[torquedev] Torque shared libs

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at open-mpi.org
Wed Jan 4 16:38:41 MST 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Garrick Staples wrote:

>> (disclaimer: I'm not a compiler/linker guy; I could be wrong here...)
>
> Yes, .a's _must_ be built with -fPIC to be linked into a shared lib.
> I even have this documented for perl-PBS at
> http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~garrick/perl-PBS/
>
> I've had my TORQUE builds with -fPIC or a few years now.

Ok.  I did a few builds to convince myself and talked to some
compiler guys, and now I'm convinced that you're right.  :-)

I'm verifying that building Torque with -fPIC will work (I'm actually
unable to replicate the user's problem, but our AMD64 cluster was
literally just re-installed and I suspect a local configuration
problem that is giving me a false success), but it'll probably take a
day or three.

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} The Open MPI Project