[torquedev] Torque shared libs

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jan 4 10:42:10 MST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:28:33PM -0500, Jeff Squyres alleged:
> On Jan 3, 2006, at 8:25 PM, Garrick Staples wrote:
>
> >>Ah, of course.  The original problem is that TORQUE needs to be built
> >>with -fPIC, not open-mpi!
> >
> >Jeff, can you confirm that just rebuilding TORQUE with -fPIC in CFLAGS
> >fixes your open-mpi build?
>
> You can't build .a's with -fPIC, can you?  Well, more specifically,
> if you build a .a with -fPIC, will it work properly?  I thought the
> whole point of a .a was that it was *not* position independent code
> because it was resolved at link time...?
>
> (disclaimer: I'm not a compiler/linker guy; I could be wrong here...)

Yes, .a's _must_ be built with -fPIC to be linked into a shared lib.
I even have this documented for perl-PBS at
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~garrick/perl-PBS/

I've had my TORQUE builds with -fPIC or a few years now.

University of Southern California