[torquedev] libtool q

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Tue Jan 3 20:55:51 MST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 11:55, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2006, at 7:01 PM, Chris Samuel wrote:
>
> I have found that distros are *very* slow to update AC, AM, and LT (I
> think mainly because a distro's release cycle is much longer than
> that of AC/AM/LT).  :-(

Indeed!

> I see that RHEL4, for example, still has Libtool 1.5.6 (current is
> 1.5.22).  SLES 9 is quite a bit older than RHEL4

rpm -qf /usr/bin/libtool
libtool-1.5.2-56.1

older indeed!

> (I don't follow SLES -- but didn't v10 just come out?), so I assume that its
> AC/AM/LT are much older.

SuSE 10 Professional came out, but SLES 10 isn't due out until Q1 2006, or so
the rumour mills that you get when you Google for it say.. :)

> As such, we've been forced to make our developers use *much* more
> recent versions of all three -- e.g., installing them off $HOME or
> in /usr/local/ or whatever.  But, FWIW, each of the three only take a
> single "configure --prefix=... && make all install" to build and
> install.

Oh, I understand that, it's just that I've got other fish to fry at the moment
like trying to learn how to program Matlab so I can get it to talk to PBS
using Matlabs new Distributed Computing Toolkit v2.0.  :-(

> You might want to try it, though -- although it's not the only issue,
> of course, the compiler is the main issue here.  The front end to the
> IBM compilers are more-or-less the same on all platforms, so if they
> have AIX/PPC/xl support, it may also "just work" for Linux/PPC/xl.

I'm not sure about that, I seem to remember coming across command line
differences for the XL compilers between OSX and Linux when I was trying to
perusade NAMD to compile with them some time ago.

> I'm not a compiler guy, though, so I could be totally wrong.  YMMV.  :-)

It's a black art.. :)

> FWIW, a *loooong* time ago we decided to support shared libraries
> only on platforms that Libtool supports.  When we've found compilers
> or platforms that Libtool didn't support, we worked with the Libtool
> guys and they've incorporated support for them in reasonable timeframes.

Very encouraging, when I get a chance I will give them a prod then, after I
check out the latest versions.

> Indeed, we contemplated moving Open MPI away from AM+LT at one point
> and decided against it primarily because we're getting such fantastic
> support from the LT crew.
>
> Ok, I'll get of my soap box now...  :-D

8-)

all the best,