[torquedev] libtool q

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at open-mpi.org
Tue Jan 3 17:55:33 MST 2006

On Jan 3, 2006, at 7:01 PM, Chris Samuel wrote:

>> I don't know offhand -- but have you tried the most recent version
>> (1.5.22)?
>
> Nope, I'm trying to keep deviations from the distributions versions
> of these
> sorts of things to a minimum for the moment - compilers being the
> obvious
> exceptions..

I have found that distros are *very* slow to update AC, AM, and LT (I
think mainly because a distro's release cycle is much longer than
that of AC/AM/LT).  :-(

I see that RHEL4, for example, still has Libtool 1.5.6 (current is
1.5.22).  SLES 9 is quite a bit older than RHEL4 (I don't follow SLES
-- but didn't v10 just come out?), so I assume that its AC/AM/LT are
much older.

As such, we've been forced to make our developers use *much* more
recent versions of all three -- e.g., installing them off $HOME or
in /usr/local/ or whatever.  But, FWIW, each of the three only take a
single "configure --prefix=... && make all install" to build and
install.

>> I know that xl support exists on some platforms, but I
>> don't know the full support matrix.
>
> Just found it:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Tested-platforms
>
> PPC is only tested with AIX at the moment, and I know there are
> significant
> differences between the IBM compilers on AIX and PPC Linux because
> of the
> different object formats the OS's use.

You might want to try it, though -- although it's not the only issue,
of course, the compiler is the main issue here.  The front end to the
IBM compilers are more-or-less the same on all platforms, so if they
have AIX/PPC/xl support, it may also "just work" for Linux/PPC/xl.

I'm not a compiler guy, though, so I could be totally wrong.  YMMV.  :-)

FWIW, a *loooong* time ago we decided to support shared libraries
only on platforms that Libtool supports.  When we've found compilers
or platforms that Libtool didn't support, we worked with the Libtool
guys and they've incorporated support for them in reasonable timeframes.

Indeed, we contemplated moving Open MPI away from AM+LT at one point
and decided against it primarily because we're getting such fantastic
support from the LT crew.

Ok, I'll get of my soap box now...  :-D

--
{+} Jeff Squyres