[torquedev] Re: [torqueusers] Fwd: [O-MPI users] OpenMPI 1.0.1 with Torque 2.0

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Jan 3 15:21:18 MST 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 03:51:28PM -0500, Jeff Squyres alleged:
> (taking the liberty of replying to torquedev...)
>
> On Jan 3, 2006, at 3:35 PM, Garrick Staples wrote:
>
> >>Is there any way that Torque can produce shared libraries?  This
> >>would solve our problem nicely.  :-)
> >
> >I would LOVE to build shared libraries.  I'm sick of rebuilding
> >maui and
> >perl-PBS everytime I make a tiny change in any of the client libs.
>
> Excellent.  :-)
>
> >TORQUE's autotools setup is pretty messed up right now so I don't want
> >to make any deep changes.  But I plan to rewrite configure.in in the
> >near future.
>
> Be sure to name it configure.ac -- Autoconf changed the default
> "preferred" name to configure.ac a while ago (configure.in will still
> work fine, but the AC docs now encourage the use of configure.ac to
> distinguish it from other *.in files).  :-)
>
> >TORQUE builds 6 static archives (7 if you cound pbs_sched.a), 5 of
> >which
> >have impossibly generic names.  I figure we could either make
> >"libtorque-foo.so" libnames, or stuff everything into 1
> >"libtorque.so".
> >
> >We need to be very careful about this because 1) TORQUE runs on a
> >lot of
> >platforms, 2) we do make regular changes to the client libs, and 3)
> >more
> >and more 3rd party stuff (like open-mpi) builds against TORQUE.
>
> You might want to look into Automake and Libtool.  Libtool's express
> purpose is to be able to build shared libraries transparently on
> oodles of combinations of compilers / platforms.  We've found the
> Libtool team to be *extremely* responsive to helping solve problems,
> fix bugs, issue new releases when necessary, etc.  I can't speak
> highly enough of them!

Yes, I know about the wonders of automake and libtool.

> >Do you know if other PBS implementations (I guess that means PBS Pro)
> >have built a shared lib?  If so, what libname(s) were used?
> >Maintaining
> >binary compatibility would be nice, but I doubt that will happen.
>
> I unfortunately don't know -- we currently -lpbs for both PBS Pro,
> Open PBS, and Torque and that grabs all the TM stuff that we need.

We can't just make a shared object that matches each shared object we
build.  I think people would get upset at clobbering some "libnet.so".

And we can't limit ourselves to just building libpbs.so, because other
programs need the other libs.

Unless we just always install into a private torque lib directory, but
then linking 3rd party stuff is more complicated because that requires
rpaths.

I think the best solution for TORQUE is to make one libtorque.so, but
that complicates things for the 3rd party builders.

That's why I wanted to know what PBS Pro does.  Do they make liblog.so,
libnet.so, etc.?

University of Southern California