[torquedev] jobs owners purging own jobs?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Feb 23 23:57:17 MST 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:28:16PM -0500, Caird, Andrew J alleged:
> Thanks Garrick,
>
> What makes it dangerous, and can it be made safer?  I'm willing to give
> a try if it's possible.

qdel -p simply tells pbs_server to purge everything it knows about the
job, without talking to MS.  The dangerous part is that it doesn't talk
to MS.  The job may possibly still be running, epilogue scripts may still
be run, and possibly random processes are going to get killed.  It is
basicly intentionally breaking the entire job state machine and is only
a last resort to removing a job.

This functionality should not be needed by users.  If you frequently
find that jobs aren't killable, then maybe that is something we need to
fix.

> My goal is to keep funtionality we had with PBSPro ('-W force').

I don't know PBSPro, but I doubt a user-accessible -W force is
equivalent to -p.