[torquedev] memory limit enforcement by pbs_mom - REQUEST FOR FEEDBACK

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Feb 6 21:12:16 MST 2006

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 07:18, Dave Jackson wrote:

>  Currently, the pbs_mom enforces memory limits specified with '-l
> pmem=X' but does not enforce memory limits specified with '-l mem=X'
> This is confusing for some users.  I propose that we modify
> mom_set_limits() to enforce stack and data segment limits if pmem is
> specified or mem is specified and the job is serial.

Can I ask for a compile time option to disable the enforcement of memory
limits ?

I want to be able to set defaults for memory limits for jobs in the queues
(the vast number of our users have no idea how much RAM they're going to use)
and then that lets people set different limits if they need them and we can
have the scheduler work things out sensibly.

Otherwise Moab treats no limit specified as a job wanting 0 RAM (not
unreasonably) and so if someone has requested (total RAM - 1MB) it'll shove
another job with no limit specified onto that node, potentially causing
chaos.

But with the current enforcement I can't begin to contemplate doing this as
dog knows how many users jobs would get massacred by it..

cheers!